Rod Roberts comes to parliament with a wide and varied background of “hands on” experience. Rod brings this extensive skills and his commitment to getting the job done to the NSW Legislative Council. Rod, through his tireless work ethic has garnered the respect of other members of the Upper House, so much so that they elected him to the position of Assistant President. The gravity of this appointment has not been lost, this being the first time a PHON MP has held such an esteemed position in either Federal or State Parliament.
Prior to entering Parliament Rod was a Detective Sergeant with the New South Wales Police Force for approximately 20 years. He worked in specialist areas such as the Drug Squad, Armed Hold Up Squad and the Consorting Squad. He was also a Senior Lecturer at the Police Academy on the Detectives Training Course. He retired from Policing in approximately 2000.
After retiring from the Police Force, Rod has been involved in small business including being a licensed real estate agent and Auctioneer, practising in the Goulburn area. Rod has owned grazing properties around Goulburn and loves the rural lifestyle.
In 2015 Rod represented Australia in the World Duathlon Championships. In his spare time Rod enjoys helping as a soigneur to the NSW based GPM Stulz Cycling Team that competes in the National Road Series.
Rod’s hobbies include cycling, running and travelling.
In 2019 Rod Roberts was elected as a member of the NSW Legislative Council. Since that time, he has been a proactive member of the Upper House culminating with his election as Assistant President in June 2020.
Rod’s other parliamentary work includes
- Member, Select Committee on High level of First Nations People in Custody and oversight and Review of deaths in Custody- 18 June 2020.
- Member, Procedure Committee- 17 June 2020
- Member of the Committee on the Independent Commission Against Corruption-19 June 2019
- Member, Standing Committee Law and Justice- 15 May 2019
- Member, Select Committee on the Use of Battery cages for Hens in the Egg production Industry-6 June 2019
- Deputy Chair, Select Committee on the Proposal to raise Warragamba Dam Wall- 23 July 2019
The Hon. Rod Roberts, MLC
SYDNEY NSW 2000
PH: (02)9230 3686